Sunday, 27 April 2008

Some Anti-Porn activities

The Fourth Carnival Against Pornography and Prostitution is now up at The Burning Times. Have a good reading time!

Also, I found this via Allecto who got it thanks to Demonista: please sign this petition to ask Rogers Communications (a Canadian-based corporation that is the largest provider of cable to Canadians) to stop selling misogynistic and racist pornography.


"Pornography tells lies about women. Pornography tells the truth about men."
-- John Stoltenberg, pro-feminist writer.

"At the Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence, serving Linn and Benton counties, most women we work with say their abusers are heavily into pornography."
-- Mary Zelinka, assistant executive director of a Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence in Oregon.

"When people deplore sexism and racism but make allowances for their proliferations in pornography, pornography has achieved its aim: the creation of acceptance for materials that publicly practise and advertise the hatred and domination of women of colour. Pornography perpetrates racism through the sexualization and fetishisation of racist stereotypes."
-- Joyce Wu, in her article Not a Fantasy: Racial Hatred and Misogyny in Pornography.

.

6 comments:

lost clown said...

"stop selling misogynistic and racist pornography."

Isn't that all pornography?

Maggie Hays said...

Yes, totally!

But I guess that this petition was specifying the misogyny and racism that are in pornography...

Anonymous said...

Dines said that pornographers consider it the next civil rights movement to get more african-american/ black women into pornography. Some form of helping women huh.

- Estela Lopez

Anonymous said...

Cool story as for me. I'd like to read a bit more concerning this topic. Thank you for sharing that material.

Anonymous said...

Rather nice place you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

Best wishes

Kimi Gee said...

The porn industry tries to glamourize itself on mainstream TV that it is good for relationships. Maybe it is, on the front-end, about 5%, the other 95% of the 100s of billions of dollars is made off of smut, slice-and-dice rereleases derived from original films, then recreated into the worse possible productions imaginable. The smut that's out there does not promote love and lust in relationships... it promotes sickening disgustment, not a turn on at all, almost numbing. Read more at kimmigee.wordpress.org